Posted on Leave a comment

1985 BMW K100 Vinyl wrap in New Blue Flame, Mike Burke

BMW Blue flame wrap, peel & stick wraps, decals & moreBMW bike wrap flames, true fire flames vinyl

This is Mike Burke’s 1985 BMW K100 with our Blue-Black Flame wrap applied on it.  Mike is a very meticulous guy who wanted a different look for his BMW. He contacted us with a special request flame wrap that we had to design for him.  Each panel of this BMW was measured by Mike & he told us which sheet of ours that he wanted to use. With a bit of time and effort we edited the sheets to meet his requirements & provided proofs prior to production just to be sure he was getting what he wanted.

To Order your Custom do it yourself vinyl wrap

 

Mike’s Personal Comments:

First I would like to thanks the staff of Power Sports Wraps for the time they spent to altering the standard pattern to fit the specific dimensions of my vehicle. I also must confess that I did not install the graphic on the upper fairing, I paid a professional for that part as I had been working on this for 2 weeks and simply wanted it to be finished. Except for the gas tank, I installed the graphic without assistance on the rest of the bike. With that experience in mind, I do not recommend trying to do this alone unless the parts are securely held during the application. Patients is a requirement as it can take several hours to complete a single piece depending on the complexity of the part being covered.  My bike had some white spray paint on a few of the surfaces. This created an adhesion problem. After encountering this issue, I used a green scrubbing pad and removed some of the white paint. This seems t o have reduced the tendency of the vinyl to lift the paint off the surface during the application process. Four pieces of black vinyl have been installed on what will be the horizontal surfaces. Be careful with these inside angles, if the vinyl is stretched too much, it may not adhere to the surface, creating the appearance of a bubble. It took me about 12 tries to figure out how to cover this area properly, (I’m probably just a slow learner).The front fender had its own challenge. I ended up with excessive vinyl overlapping near the midpoint of the fender. I decided to solve this by cutting and overlapping where the front fork would hide the fix. Then I removed the patterned vinyl and covered the area with black vinyl.Since I was working alone, I chose to remove the backing of the vinyl sheet only as it became necessary during the application.

The gas tank was also a problem. Perhaps if I had more helpers, (or more experience), it would have turned out differently. I had to make a cut and overlap on the side of the tank. Not very noticeable in the pic, but I may cover it with a narrow piece of black eventually.

I did try using the black vinyl for the mirrors, but in the end decided to go with a can of spray paint and some rubbing compound. Eleven separate parts were covered with vinyl, and there are some small defects in the surface, (even of the piece I paid for), but none of the defects are obvious to the casual observer. In fact, the worst are in places not visible to a standing observer. I am quite pleased with the results. Mike Burke